Monday, July 18, 2011

Muffin Tin Meal- Yellow & Nutritional Yeast Mac

muffin tin meal-yellow

I feel like lately Will wants to eat the same thing over and over again! I tried to spice it up a bit and make lunch time a bit more exciting! Once again as seen over at Counting Coconuts and a few other places in the blogosphere I decided to try a muffin tin meal. I usually am a fan of making our meals colorful, but it was kind of fun to make a theme out of it this time and I seemed to have a lot of yellow foods on hand. We included: pineapple, corn, nutritional yeast mac and "cheese", yellow summer squash, bananas ( I know the peel is really only yellow, but I ran out of ideas and we had lots of them), and a yellow cup of water.

will eating yellow meal

Will thought this was a really cool idea and got really excited about it when I brought out his "special new lunch."...although he ate all all the fruits and veggies and did not even touch the mac and "cheese". He wouldn't even try it! Argh! It was so good! I think he would have actually liked it if I could get him to just try a bite! :) oh well, I should not complain because he ate and always eats the fresh food. We just had to go with plan #2 and eat leftover rice and beans from the night before. :)

But for those of you who have never made Nutritional Yeast Mac, you totally should! It really is good. If you are unfamiliar with nutritional yeast, you can click here. It is a great source of protein and vitamins. There are so many recipes out there. below is the one that I used, plus I added some freshly ground pepper over the top. So Yummy! I know my sister-in-law adds some ground mustard to it too. I am sure that would taste delish as well! OK, here is the recipe...

nutritional yeast mac

Vegan Mac and "Cheese" -serves 2-4

1 lb. macaroni noodles
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
3 Tbsp. mild-tasting oil (I actually just used earth balance)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

*cook noodles according to package directions. While they are cooking make the special "cheese" sauce...

* In a saucepan combine combine ingredients, whisking over med. heat until thickened...about 2 minutes. The sauce should be nice and thick. Drain noodles and stir in sauce. I then added some freshly ground pepper and ate it up! Yummy!...no seriously it really was! I was surprised.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Yours looks so much better than ours that we made several months ago! For some reason mine was kind of chunky and gummy. I will have to try that recipe if I can persuade my hubby to eat it again :)

Jamie said...

i just remembered...ours had pine nuts in it. I don't think I really like pine nuts.

STEPHANIE. said...

ah! hehe...more protein though. :)

Jamie said...

I had to bookmark this recipe because we make it so much! Lauren is in love! We add edamame and usually some meat (gasp...I know...but bacon is really good in it). :)

My2Gs said...

We made it tonight for supper ....it was a huge hit :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...