Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Hummus

sweet potato hummus

I came across this recipe for Sweet Potato Hummus from the new Whole Living website for Martha's Body+Soul magazine. I had never thought of combining the sweet potatoes and the garbanzo beans, but oh my this was delicious and packed with lots of good nutrients! Will even loved it...he liked the dipping part probably the best. :) We bought pita chips to dip and also red pepper slices and broccoli. Makes for a very colorful meal.

Ingredients

Makes 4 cups

  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 can (19.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • Whole-wheat pita and crudites such as red pepper and broccoli

Directions

  1. Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
  2. Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic in the food processor. Puree, about 1 minute; thin with water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and let cool; refrigerate, in an airtight container, up to 1 week. Serve with pita and crudites.

1 comment:

sulu-design said...

I'll admit that I found you through a sweet comment you left on Beki's blog, and I'm so glad I did. This recipe looks amazing. I just dabbled in making hummus myself for the first time. I'm totally going to try this version. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...