I have a tendency to pile up old t-shirts and materials in my studio closet thinking I will use them someday...days pass...and I get super excited when I come across my stash and have an idea in my head at the same time! Wahoo for creativity! Well really this is super easy. If you know how to use a sewing machine, you can do this!
1. First grab an old t-shirt and a baby dress that you want to mimic for size. Line it up along one of the sides of the t-shirt so you only have to hem one side. Then cut around the dress leaving a little extra room for a hem (1/4-1/2 inch). There is no need to cut around the straps because we will be making that later.
It should look like this so far...
2. From the leftover t-shirt cut a long 1-1/2 inch wide strip to set aside for the straps. Cut the strip the length of the t-shirt and it can be adjusted later.
3. Turn the dress inside out and pin the one side to be sewn together.
Also fold over the neckline on each side, pin, and sew.
4. Take the straps that you cut out previously and throw one in your stash pile. (you never know when you might need a pink t-shirt scrap)...:) Then take your strap and gently tug on each end to make it look like this...
5. After you turn your dress back to the right side it is time to thread your strap. Grab a clothes pin and attach to the end of the strap. Thread through one side of the neckline loop. The clothes pin gives you something to grab and pull through.
...and thread through the backside like so...
6. I then sewed the ends of the strap together and tucked the seem inside the neckline so it is not showing. Make sure before you sew the strap that you have measured it to fit correctly.
7. Then put it on a cutie... :)
She REALLY likes it!