Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kiwano Melon

IMG_4407

I was drawn to this spikey looking bright orange fruit at the store last week. I knew nothing about it, but thought I would give it a try. I got home and cut it open...it was green! Not what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised with its sweet but tangy taste. You actually eat the seeds kind of like a pomegranate, but they look like cucumber seeds...hummm, hard to describe. It tastes like a mix of cucumber and kiwi. I know that may not sound like a good mix, but it really was! You will just have to try it for yourself. I later googled it and found that it is originally from southern Africa and also know as the horned melon, or in the US is also called the blowfish fruit. Putting a little salt or sugar on it after cutting it open is supposed to increase the flavor. Although I thought it tasted great as is.

IMG_4404

IMG_4409

2 comments:

gardenmama said...

what a gorgeous fruit!
how fun to hear about it : )

Mrs. Rogers said...

So cool! If I see one I'm going to buy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...